YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Argyle Addendum

A blog on architecture, life, and that avant la lettre...

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

   I started a new project today, which really started a few weeks ago. I had been drafting some of my old projects from undergrad, but today I started drafting Urban plans from around the world. So far I have completed a basic grid of New York 1811 and a Savannah plan that outlines the city's evolution from 1733(founding) to the progress made up to 1856. 
                      1818 Savannah City Map (This is prior to the Forsyth Park addition.)

   It seems to be a fruitful process. I not only get to brush up on my line weights but I'm using a process a professor at UVA stands by. She claims that to fully know a place or a city's design, you must be in the seat of the planner/architect by drawing it(or in this case drafting it.) I plan on doing a few more but haven't exactly decided which ones. If nothing else they're giving me pieces for my portfolio or something to pin up on my walls. Versailles may be my next undertaking.[below]
1746 engraving by abbot Delagrive

No comments:

Post a Comment