YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Argyle Addendum

A blog on architecture, life, and that avant la lettre...

Monday, February 11, 2013


    My trip to Savannah was excellent. As soon as I got off the exit ramp my mind was instantly full of memories. Every block offered a story and a memory tied to people and events.  It has become a part of me, and I will always understand it as one of my homes. In just two years the SCAD I once knew had continued to evolve in a positive direction. The SCAD Museum of Art, only a site of construction when I last left it, has become the new epicenter of student life at the school. Seeing it expanding and morphing into something better makes me even more proud to call myself an alumni.
                   I visited my favorite restaurant, Zunzi's, which was a life changing experience as always. The Symposium was particularly enjoyable. I presented my paper, "Mining, Mouring, and Modernism." I got a lot of great feedback. Attending conferences and symposia have made me evolve greatly in my understanding of both the field of architecture and architectural criticism. The scholars that I get to hear present their work serve to inspire me. As soon as I got back to Charlottesville, I realized I have added enthusiasm to work on my thesis, which is exactly what I need in these final stages of writing.

Things are changing..

I'm realizing exactly how much time I have left at UVA and it feels rather surreal to know that in just a few months I'll be packing up to move. Where I'll be heading is a major question right now. I am still anxiously awaiting word about Ph.D. applications, and the pessimist inside of me is beginning to look for jobs.

Being in Savannah has also made me wonder if I could ever see myself going back there, but I think instead of returning I need to take this opportunity to find a new place. One that isn't bogged down with associations of the past-Savannah is full of those. I also started trying to understand myself a little better by comparing the cities I've lived in. Philippi, Morgantown, Syracuse, Savannah, FRANCE, SPAIN, Washington DC, and Charlottesville.. A good mix of both ruthlessly rural/ massively metropolitan, North and South, archaic and cultured. I'm having a deep internal debate about what should govern my next move: pursuit of  place or pursuit of profession, this only applies of course in the event I don't get to pursue a Ph.D.



No comments:

Post a Comment