YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Argyle Addendum

A blog on architecture, life, and that avant la lettre...

Sunday, December 30, 2012

2013

I guess I've turned this proverbial New Years post into a tradition.  
  
   What to say about this year....
   
    There are several obvious reflections I could make on the year, and most of which I don't think belong here. It's been a year of transitions. From gaining solid footing in a new place, to wondering what I stand on the brink of next year, this year has been full of the infill. I remember a few years back when I literally made myself sick when I thought about whether I got into grad school or not, but I haven't felt the same this year. I've met the next step with a sense of calm, as if I know deep down that it will all be okay. 
    My family has seen a lot of changes this year. My niece still receives my pick for 'cutest baby in the history of man kind'. She's brought a lot of joy to everyone. She is beginning to walk and demonstrates a mastery in patty-cake skills. Next year will bring more changes. 
    As one local  radio ad puts it, "Before we put 2012 in the grave and smack 2013 on the ass,  come on down and make a deal.", while I'm not talking about selling cars, I am on the other hand talking about my resolutions.-here it goes. 

 1.   Because I've seen what stress can do in my life, I want to find a way to beat it. I hope through keeping busy, painting more, and reading the serenity prayer over and over and over again, I  can begin to pick and choose my mind's battles. (insert 3 here) 

2.    Due to the fact that I believe in my academic abilities, I won't stress over Ph.D. acceptance as much as I did for graduate school. Instead of letting this uncertainty consume me, I'm going to be proactive and finish my graduate studies as strong as I can. I've done my best on applications, and I'm going to have faith that this road will lead me to my destination.

3.     I want to get back to the gym regularly. My schedule has been sporadic.  I went regularly in undergrad. until my health tanked, but I finally feel like it's time to pick up where I left off. 

4.     I want to be there. (Not a complete thought I get that.) What I'm really trying to say is I want to be there for my friends and family. I want to get closer to the people I love and make them know that I'm here for them. Not just someone that comes and goes, as living away from my hometown has allowed me to be. Less flakey-ness, more milk(provided there isn't a dairy-cliff...and I'm off topic again.) 

5.     I want to spend more time on the lawn of the University. I know that regardless of where I go from this place, I will miss and regret not spending more time soaking up the awesomeness of my surroundings. 

6,     By the end of this year I want to declare stability in my vocation. Regardless of whether I am in a Ph. D. program, working in my field, or working at Taco Bell(as a metaturnal drive thru conductor.) I want to have established a clear path and be happily working to fulfill the journey to the best of my abilities. 

       [The runners up that didn't make this list include: eat more citrus fruits, go to canada more, camp once a week out of my car, make peanut butter play-doh, let your hair grow long(again), jump-rope, Geo-caching, disconnect from social media completely, writing my first book, getting on the Antique Road Show, and trying to be a better driver.] 

I look to 2013 with optimism, because we never really know what's comin'. I'm optimistic by nature, and while it hasn't always been a strong trait to have, it hasn't lead to my destruction yet either. 
Keep your head up, focus on your breathing, and push when you're told to. 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment